After the changes made by the Uttar Pradesh Public service commission in UPPCS exam the exam now closely resembles the UPSC Civil services exam.The UPPCS Preliminary exam 2020 will be one of the most competitively fought exams in the near future.A combination of the right strategy along with hard work is needed to crack the UPPCS Preliminary examination 2020.First let us take a look and understand in detail the pattern and the syllabus for the UPPCS Preliminary examinations 2020.
The UPPCS Preliminary Examination, 2020 will consist of two compulsory papers.
- The answers to both the papers will be on OMR sheets.
- The papers shall be 200 marks each and of two hours duration.
- Both the papers shall be objective Type & multiple choice in which there shall be 150-100 questions respectively.
Note : (1) Paper-II of the UPPCS Preliminary examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%. One has to score a minimum of 33% marks in this paper or one will not qualify for the mains.
(2) It is mandatory for the Candidates to appear in both the papers of UPPCS Preliminary Examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he does not appear in both papers.
(3) The merit of the Candidates will be determined on the basis of marks obtained in Paper-I of the UPPCS Preliminary Examination. Paper 2 is only of qualifying nature and is not taken into consideration while determining the merit of the candidates.
Most students do not prepare well and enough for Paper 2 which is highly risky. The students need to understand well that if they do not score 33% marks in Paper 2 it will be back to the starting line.
For Complete Coverage (Prelims + Mains + Interview) of UPPCS 2020, Join our systematically designed program (Videos + PDFs + Unit Tests of each topic + Test Series)
To Join Click Here
The UPPCS Preliminary Examination syllabus general studies.
Paper-1, General Studies-I / Duration: Two hours / Marks – 200
* Current events of national and international importance.
* History of India and Indian National Movement.
* India and World geography – Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World.
* Indian Polity and governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues etc.
* Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
* General Issues on Environmental ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change– that do not require subject specialization.
* General Science Current events of national and international Importance:- On Current Events of National and International Importance, candidates will be expected to have knowledge about them.
History of India & Indian National Movement:- In History emphasis should be on broad understanding social, economic and political aspects of Indian History. In the Indian National Movement, the candidates are expected to have a synoptic view of nature and character of the freedom movement, growth of nationalism and attainment of Independence.
India and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World: In World Geography only general understanding of the subject will be expected. Questions on the Geography of India will relate to Physical, Social & Economic Geography of India.
Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.:- In Indian Polity, Economic and Culture, questions will test knowledge of the country’s political system including Panchayati Raj and Community Development, broad features of Economic policy in India and Indian Culture.
Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion,Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.:- The candidates will be tested with respect to problems and relationship between Population, Environment and Urbanisation. General Issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization, General awareness of the subject is expected from candidates.
General Science:- Questions on General Science will cover general appreciation and understanding of Science including matters of every day observation and experience, as may be expected of a well educated person, who has not made a special study of any scientific discipline. Note:- Candidates are expected to have general awareness about the above subjects with special reference to Uttar Pradesh.
Some questions have been given below which will give the students an idea about what kind of questions can be expected in UPPCS Preliminary examination 2020.
Previous year questions general studies from UPPCS Preliminary Examination
Q1 Multidimensional poverty index includes:
3 Living Standard
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
(a) Only 1 is correct
(b) Only 2 and 3 are correct
(c) Only 1 and 2 is correct
(d) 1,2 and 3 are correct
Q2 The first Union Territory of India to run 100 Percent on solar energy is
(a) Andaman Nicobar
Q3 Which of the following organism has white blood?
(c) House bug
Q4 Nitrogen fixing bacteria makes combination with cells of the roots of
Q5 The 2019 Nobel Prize for economics was given to a woman for the second time name the first woman who was earlier awarded this prize.
(a) Esther duflo
(b) Gerty Theresa Cori
(c) Maria Goeppert
(d) Elinar Ostrom
Q6 Rural Sanitation Strategy launched by ministry of Jal Shakti in September 2019 relates to which of the following periods?
(a) 2019- 2035
(b) 2019 to 2029
(c) 2019 to 2022
(d) 2019 to 2024
Q7 Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan (MKSS), a social movement has been associated with which of the following in India?
(a) RTE Act
(b) RTI Act
(d) National Health Mission (NHM)
Q8 Who among the following kings had given patronage to Tansen before Akbar?
(a) Raja Ram Chandra Singh of Bhata
(b) Rajbhadur of Malwa
(c) Uday Singh of Mewar
(d) Muzzafar Shah of Gujarat
A lot of students prepare well for paper 1 but at the cost of Paper 2.Paper 2 is not difficult to prepare for and most of the questions that are asked are up-to Higher Secondary level. At first the student treats it lightly thinking that the syllabus is only up-to higher secondary level but he does not understand and realize that he is not in touch with it for the past several years. One needs to understand the importance of Paper 2 and prepare accordingly.
Do subscribe to our you tube channel Click here.
The UPPCS Preliminary Examination 2020 syllabus for Paper 2.
Paper-II General Studies-II/Duration:Two hours/Marks – 200
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision making and problem solving.
- General mental ability
- Elementary Mathematics upto ClassX level- Arithmetic, Algebra,Geometry and Statistics.
- General English upto Class X level.
- General Hindi upto Class X level.
The UPPCS Preliminary Examination 2020 syllabus for Elementary Mathematics (Upto Class X Level)
1. Arithmetic:- (i) Number systems: Natural Numbers, Integers, Rational and Irrational numbers, Real numbers, Divisors of an Integer, prime integers, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of integers and their Interrelationship. (ii) Average (iii) Ratio and proportion (iv) Percentage (v) Profit and Loss (vi) Simple and Compound Interests (vii) Work and Time (viii) Speed, Time and Distance
2. Algebra :- (i) Factors of polynomials, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of polynomials and their Interrelationship, Remainder theorem, simultaneous linear equations, quadratic equations. (ii) Set Theory:- Set, null set, subsets and proper subsets of a set, operations (Union, Intersections, difference, symmetric difference) between sets, venn diagram.
3. Geometry:- (i) Constructions and theorems regarding triangle, rectangle, square, trapezium and circles, their perimeter and area. (ii) Volume and surface area of sphere,right circular cylinder, right circular Cone and Cube.
4. Statistics:- Collection of data, Classification of data, frequency, frequency distribution,tabulation, cumulative frequency. Representation of data – Bar diagram, Pie chart,histogram, frequency polygon, cumulative frequency curves (ogives), Measures of Central tendency: Arithmetic Mean, Median and Mode.
Previous year questions Elementary Mathematics from UPPCS Preliminary Examination
Q1 What is the median of the numbers 4.6, 0, 9.3, -4.8, 7.6, 2.3, 12.7,3.5,8.2,6.1,3.9,5.2?
Q2 The length of a parallelogram is 17cm and its width is 11cm. One of its diagonal measures 26cm. The length of the other diagonal is
Q3 Two numbers are such that their sum, difference and product are in the ration 5:1:18.The difference of their squares is
The syllabus of elementary mathematics for UPPCS Preliminary Examination 2020 is only up to tenth level.We have all studied these topics in school.At the first glance the syllabus might look simple and easy but practice is needed as one may have forgotten many formulae that need to be applied for volume and surface area of sphere,right circular cylinder, right circular Cone and Cube. Similarly there may be some other tricky topics too in the syllabus where one needs to put his skills to practice and work upon the weak areas.
The UPPCS Preliminary Examination 2020 syllabus for General English Upto Class X Level
- 1. Comprehension
- 2. Active Voice and Passive Voice
- 3. Parts of Speech
- 4. Transformation of Sentences
- 5. Direct and Indirect Speech
- 6. Punctuation and Spellings
- 7. Words meanings
- 8. Vocabulary & Usage
- 9. Idioms and Phrases
- 10. Fill in the Blanks
Good knowledge of complete grammar in depth along with a grasp over vocabulary will help a candidate to score well in this section. The UPPCS Preliminary Examination 2020 syllabus for General English has been covered in the schools and at the first look nothing seems to new to the candidate. In-depth study is a must. One may know what is an adjective but not know “Ordering of adjectives”.Some questions are given below to give you an idea about what kind of questions are asked.These are previous year questions asked in the paper held on 15th December 2019.
Previous year questions General English from UPPCS Preliminary Examination
Choose the correct part of speech/word class of the word”interesting” in the following sentence.
Q1 The book is interesting.
Q2 Which of the following is wrongly spelt ?
Q3 Choose the correct option.
This pen is much _______than that.
(b) more cheaper
(c) the cheaper
Q4 Change the following sentence into simple sentence.
The institution is as bad as it could be.
(a)The institute is thoroughly bad.
(b)The institute is so bad that we can not live.
(c)The institute is too bad to say anything.
(d) The institute is not only bad but also good.
Q5 Find out the correct indirect narration of the following direct speech.
John looked at the Taj and said,” How magnificient!”
(a) John looked at the Taj and told that how magnificient it is.
(b) John looked at the Taj and exclaimed with surprise that it was very magnificient.
(c) John looked at the Taj and asked that how magnificient.
(d) None of the above.
The UPPCS Preliminary examination 2020 syllabus for Hindi
सामान्य हिंदी (हाई स्कूल स्तर तक) के पाठ्यक्रम में सम्मिलित किये जाने वाले विषय
(1) हिंदी वर्णमाला , विराम चिन्ह
(2) शब्द रचना, वाक्य रचना,अर्थ
(4) संधि ,समास
(6) अनेकार्थी शब्द
(7) विलोम शब्द,
(8) पर्यायवाची शब्द
(9) मुहावरें एवं लोकोक्तियाँ
(10) तत्सम एवं तद्भव ,देशज , विदेशी (शब्द भण्डार)
(13) हिंदी भाषा के प्रयोग में आने वाली अशुद्धियाँ
(14)उत्तर प्रदेश की मुख्य बोलियां तथा
Previous year questions from UPPCS Preliminary Examination
(1) गमला और आलपीन किस भाषा के शब्द हैं
(2) हंसपद विराम चिन्ह का प्रयोग होता है
(a) वाक्य पूरा करने के लिए
(b) संकेत देने के लिए
(c) अर्थ स्पष्ट करने के लिए
(d) लिख़ने में अक्षर छूटने का संकेत देने के लिए
(3) आभ्यंतर का विलोम होता है
(b) अंदर का
(d) अभी अभी
(4) बच्चा शब्द का तत्सम रूप होता है
(5) अंक शब्द का अर्थ नहीं होता है
After having gone through the detailed syllabus for UPPCS Preliminary examination 2020 every student should prepare strictly according to the syllabus. While one plans out his daily study routine for UPPCS Preliminary examination 2020 he should set aside some time for revision also. Weekly and quarterly revisions are a must. Once the whole syllabus is over it is time to test oneself how prepared is he to appear for UPPCS Preliminary examination 2020. Maximum mock tests should be taken and weak areas should be worked upon. Many students do not practice mock tests of Paper 2 in sufficient numbers. This could prove to be detrimental to one’s performance. Many students just keep studying the syllabus but do not appear for tests. This is the wrong approach. If one is confident of having studied the syllabus well then one should not fear facing the mock tests.
A good test series is a must along with relevant and precise study material. In recent years the pattern of the exam for UPPCS Preliminary examination has undergone a huge change so it is also important for the student to understand and accept the changes. Generally it is seen that students who have been preparing for the exam for four to five years find it difficult to accept any new changes in the pattern. So what is obsolete needs to be removed and its place needs to be taken by what is introduced? A student who is focussed, willing to work hard, and studies quality content is sure to crack the exam. All the best for the UPPCS Preliminary examination 2020.